Food can sometimes be functional and thrown away: a sandwich we grab and eat on the bus, or a salad we chuck in the bin because we forgot it was there or were too busy at work to get home and eat it. The Small Change, Big Difference campaign, funded by the EU Life Programme, shows that simple ideas and small changes can reduce the environmental impact of the food we eat, as well as save us money and make us healthier.
Come and join Veolia and Lambeth Public Health at a range of pop-up events across Lambeth They’ll be handing out a range of food storage freebies from bag clips to can covers, as well as spaghetti measurers to help you with perfecting your portions.
We will also be giving out the food network guides created by the team at The People’s Fridge.
- Friday 17 November, 10am to 1pm, Tesco, Kennington Lane, Kennington
- Tuesday 21 November, 10am to 1pm, Tesco, Streatham High Road, Streatham
- Thursday 23 November, 5pm to 8pm, Ritzy Cinema, Brixton
- Friday 24 November, 10am to 1pm, Tesco, Acre Lane, Brixton
Tips and recipes
- Valcie’s jerk chicken recipe
Valcie Says, “Any leftover sauce can be frozen for another time.”
- Jo and Darwin’s Ecuadorian plantain fritters recipe
Jo says, “You can use whatever you have in the fridge to go with the plantains – leftover carrots, peppers, onions, spring onions.”
- Valcie’s low-fat rice and peas recipe
Valcie Says, “This recipe is great for using canned foods like kidney beans.”
- Eliza’s roasted ratatouille recipe
Eliza says, “This is a great recipe to use up vegetables and even bread that’s a day past fresh.”
- Valcie’s “any veg chuck in” dish recipe
- Valcie says, “This dish is super healthy and a great way to use up any leftover veg.”
- Ela’s aduki bean and breadcrumb burgers recipe
- Ela says, “This is such a great recipe if you’ve got old bread lying around.”
- Valcie’s spicy pumpkin soup recipe
Valcie says, “A bowl of this wholesome soup will help you get your five-a-day.”
- Iga’s Polish Potato dumplings recipe
Iga says, “This recipe for Polish Pierogies is my favourite way to use up leftover mashed potato.”