Statement on Shirley Oaks Survivors Association
A distressing report detailing the abuse and poor care suffered by hundreds of children under Lambeth Council care when it ran children’s homes has been released today.
The report by the Shirley Oaks Survivors Group includes testimony by those who were abused over the decades during their time at the home which closed in the 1980s.
The SOSA investigation has shone further light on the suffering of those entrusted into the council’s care. The survivors group has undertaken a huge amount of work and today’s report is a credit to them.
Lambeth has accepted that children were let down and has publicly apologised. The council has also been supporting SOSA and has drawn up a compassionate draft redress scheme that looks to compensate people for the abuse they suffered.
A dedicated helpline that will be able to provide further advice and information about this redress scheme, will open in the new year. Further information will be published on our website in early January. The scheme itself will become operational in April 2017.
If you or someone you know has been affected by child abuse and wish to talk to someone in confidence about your experience, the following organisations may be able to assist you.
List of Support and Crisis Helplines
- Childline – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org – Tel: 0800 1111 24 hour Freephone
- NAPAC napac.org.uk – Tel: 0808 801 0331 Mon-Thurs 10am – 9pm/Friday 10am – 6pm
- NSPCC – Email: email@example.com – Tel: 0808 800 5000 24 hour Freephone
- Rape & Sexual Abuse Support Centre South London – http://www.rasasc.org.uk/ – Tel: 0808 802 9999 Daily 12noon-2.30pm/7pm-9.30pm
- Rape Crisis (England and Wales) – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org – Tel: 0808 802 9999 Daily 12noon – 2:30pm / 7pm – 9:30pm
- Samaritans – Email:email@example.com – Tel: 08457 909090 24 hour Freephone
- Stop It Now – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org – Tel: 0808 1000 900 Mon-Thurs 9am-9pm, Fri 9am-5pm
- The Survivors Trust – Email: email@example.com – Tel: 01788 550554 Mon-Thurs 10am-9pm, Fri 10
- Survivors UK – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org – Tel: 020 3598 3898 Mon-Fri 10.30am-9pm, Sat & Sun 10am-6pm
- Victims Support Email: https://www.victimsupport.org.uk/help-and-support/get-help/supportline/email-supportline – Tel: 08 08 16 89 111 Mon-Fri 8pm-8am, Sat and Sun 24hr