Which women inspire you to get active?
We all know the benefits of regular physical activity but now a new report from the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges has gone so far as suggesting it can be a ‘miracle cure’ and far more effective than pills for many people.
The reports says regular exercise can cut the risk of breast cancer by 25% and the risk of bowel cancer by 45%. It can reduce the chances of ever getting dementia or having a stroke by 30% and cuts the risk of high blood pressure or type-2 diabetes by 50%.
The bit that struck me is that the health advice we usually get involves giving something up – but with exercise this is about taking something up – doing something really positive.
What’s more, almost three quarters of the annual NHS budget is spent on people with chronic conditions that could have been avoided or alleviated by greater activity, says the report.
I’m passionate about getting Lambeth fitter and healthier. We’ve got three amazing new leisure centres, loads of community events from dancing to boxing, and the new outdoor gyms in our parks are proving very popular with people who prefer the great outdoors.
Celebrating International Women’s Day
I particularly want to encourage more women and girls to get active and that’s our theme for International Women’s Day on Sunday 8 March – tell us about the women who’ve inspired you to get active. It could be a teacher, a friend, a famous athlete or your mum.
On the subject of mums, it’s Mothers’ day on Sunday 15 March so here’s a challenge – do something physical with yours. Go swimming together, try ice skating, go for a walk or take to the dance floor. Though of course the problem with my own mum is she’s really fit and active and there’s every chance she’ll put me to shame.
Send us your pictures and tweets, and let’s get Lambeth fit!
The Culture 2020 consultation
Our ambitions and ideas on how we take forward sport and fitness in Lambeth are outlined in the Culture 2020 consultation document and you can also find out more by coming to one of the Culture 2020 Conversation events:
- Monday 2 March (7-9pm) at Streatham Library, with a town centre Library and archives theme workshop.
- Tuesday 3 March (7-9pm) – Arts Network event at Southbank
- Saturday 7 March (11am to 1pm) at Portico Gallery, West Norwood, with an arts, heritage and cultural events theme workshop
- Tuesday 17 March (6.30-8.30pm) at Waterloo Action Centre, with a Community libraries theme workshop
- Wednesday 18 March (7-9pm) at Myatt’s Field North Community Centre, with a community hub theme workshop
- Saturday 21 March (11am to 1pm) at Karibu Centre, Brixton, with a parks and events theme workshop
- Wednesday 25 March (7-9pm) at Platanos College main hall, Clapham Road, with a sports theme workshop
Hope to see you there – Lycra’s optional!!