Do you love Clapham Common and wildlife – can you spare some time to help?
Growing a Greener City
Clapham Common attracts lots of visitors and Clapham Common Management Advisory Committee (CCMAC), the community group that works with Lambeth Council to manage this popular open space, are thrilled to have been awarded a £10,000 grant from the Mayor of London’s Greener City Fund for their Colour Your Common project.
Creation of a haven
The money will be used to create a wildflower meadow in an area of the Common beside Windmill Drive that will bring beauty and biodiversity. A wildlife haven where people can sit in peace and tranquillity or picnic with friends and family.
The project starts in March to run through the spring and summer, and the first task is to prepare the ground and shift loads of soil. Local schools are going to get involved and Good Gym Lambeth will be jogging over to pitch in and help, but lots more burly bods are needed.
Step one: the launch
Find out how to get involved at the CCMAC Colour Your Common Launch at the Bandstand Beds community garden on Windmill Drive – Saturday 3 March from 12pm to 3pm. Pop along and all about the planned activities for the coming months, sow wildflower seeds and tuck into tea and cake. Everyone welcome!
Step two: volunteer days
Following this event, there will be three further volunteer days on 17 March, 31 March and 14 April 2018, from 1pm until 4pm.
Make a difference with a donation
If you’re unable to make it to the Common to help out on these dates, CCMAC also looking to raise extra funding to buy plants for this project.
For more information
- For more information about Bandstand Beds and community food-growing you can follow Bandstand Beds on Twitter, Facebook or on their news pages.
- Follow Colour Your Common on Twitter
- If you can’t come to any of the volunteering planting days but you’d like to help raise extra funding for more plants, email CCMAC.
- For more information on what’s happening to encourage biodiversity in London and the Mayor of London’s Greener City Fund see the Mayor of London/Greater London Assembly information pages.
- For more on Clapham Common Management Advisory Committee (CCMAC) see their information pages or follow them on Twitter.
- For more information about Good Gyms Lambeth and their mix of community keep-fit and volunteering projects in the community see their information and news pages.
- For more news from Clapham Business Improvement District follow This is Clapham on Twitter.