This year’s LGBTQ+ History Month events are hosted in Lambeth Libraries and online throughout February.
Word from the Cabinet
Cllr Sonia Winifred Cabinet Member for Equalities and Culture,said:
“I am delighted to invite you to this year’s LGBTQ+ history month. The Covid Pandemic has had a significant impact on the LGBTQ+ community, drawing attention to inequalities and discrimination. Lambeth Libraries have co-ordinated this programme to give an insight into LGBTQ+ history, giving us all the opportunity to understand and challenge discrimination and promote equality, diversity and inclusion. The vibrancy of Lambeth is very well reflected in the diversity of our communities and our commitment to equality. I hope you will join us.”
Find and book your events
- Pick up your printed guide to what’s happening in the month from your nearest Lambeth Library or browse and book events online from a special Lambeth LGBTQ+ history month mini-website
- You’ll find author talks like the history of Section 28, the first novel by Polari founder Paul Burston, poetry and performance with Queer Alphabet Soup, and book groups discussing The Transgender Issue and LGBTQ+ life and art in 80s New York.
- Even though it’s curated by Lambeth Libraries, there’s much more than books to enjoy – we’ve got lesbian life in the ‘80s on film, an LGBTQ+ Bike Repair Workshop, conversations about the future of Trans Health and for LGBTQ+ people with disabilities; a photo exhibition representing Covid-19 lockdown experiences; a magazine fair, the launch event of ‘mapping queer Lambeth’ (from Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens to radical Brixton) and memories of when Lambeth hosted Europride; plus under-5 wriggle and rhyme sessions, 21st century stories in drag queen story times and a themed craft workshop for
- As well as all the month’s events with times and booking details for Eventbrite events and podcasts, the site (and printed guide) includes contact details for Lambeth organisations who offer services for young people, healthcare, and LGBTQ+ rights.
- We are proud that Gay’s the Word are our official bookseller for LGBTQ+ History Month.
- Lambeth Libraries hold collections of the best LGBT+ literature and non-fiction. During February our libraries will promote some of the latest books and classics. Membership is free and there’s a world to read… check out details of how to the Library catalogue.