A Festival of Ideas in West Norwood
The Open Works is an experimental project in West Norwood, aiming to transform how we live our every day lives. How can we re-organise the way we work, eat, learn, make, fix, grow, share and cook together? We believe that citizens’ imaginative ideas are the starting point.
Open to the Public: Festival of Project Ideas
22-25 October 2014 across various venues
Open to the Public is an exploration of exciting new projects that bring to life citizens’ ideas of how they would like to build a sustainable future for their communities. Many of these projects are bringing people together in practical, productive ways ways, to make and shape the areas in which they live.
The Festival will include a large number of hands-on opportunities to get involved in projects, as well as skill sharing lessons, talks about how people have got started with their projects, walks around West Norwood and lots of time and opportunity to share ideas with other local residents and The Open Works team.
Here’s some of the activities on offer – you can join in, listen, teach, talk or make another suggestion…?
Make, plant, design, tinker
- Public Jam – Collaboratively making 250 jars of West Norwood preserves – Sat 25 October
- Open Orchard – Planting 100 fruit trees in 10 sites -Weds 22 to Sat 25 Oct
- Public Play – Play Lab will be open for intergenerational tinkering & 10 Play Streets will be launched – Sat 25 October
- West Norwood Clay – Make beautiful objects with special local clay from West Norwood – Sat 25 October
How to start a new project
- Founders from 12 exciting collaborative projects will give 20 minute talks on how they got started. 12pm – 2pm.Project speakers include People’s Kitchen Brixton, South London Makerspace, Library of Things, Bootstrap Bees, Play Lab and more
Share your ideas
- There will be opportunities throughout the day to share your ideas with other local residents and The Open Works Team. The interactive exhibition of ideas will be live at The Portico Gallery.
Learn a new skill
- 20 Skill Sharing lessons throughout the day at 5 sites across West Norwood – Saturday 25 October. Ranging from business building skills, growing, sewing, fixing and making – the lessons will be local residents sharing their knowledge with other residents and friends. Skills already offered include how to change a bike tire, social media for business, and how to make sushi… what could you teach?
Walk with me
- 2 walking tours around West Norwood, highlighting key historical places plus the new network of Open Works spaces being used for the emerging participatory projects.
Talk to me
- Local residents will be hosting conversations during festival week about early ideas they would like to grow and outcomes they would like to achieve for the area. Please contact us with suggestions of any conversation you would personally like to host.