The Friends of Gipsy Hill’s fundraiser for their first community Christmas tree has successfully met its target. The tree represents light shining out in the dark evenings and a focal point to bring the community together.
Messages of hope
Crowdfunding covered the costs to print, laminate, and tie messages of hope, wishes, and reflections to the tree, making Gipsy Hill’s community spirit visible. A 3D printed angel, star, snowflake, heart, or fir tree bauble carries messages on ribbon tags. Local businesses sponsored messages on banners around the tree.
Crowdfund Lambeth contributed £685 to the £3,080 raised by 57 supporters in 35 days. Lambeth Council worked with The Friends of Gipsy Hill on a new Christmas tree ‘pit’ with a power supply for lighting.
Events before Christmas
The tree goes up on 21 November with socially distanced Christmas Carols by Palace Acapella, the Christ Church Choir, The Ambrassadors brass quintet, The Haddock Singers, Norwood Gipsies Pantomime and the run up to Christmas, also streamed to Facebook:
Open Door Kitchen
Beating the target pays for festive lights for Station Garden and dressing the local area in festive spruce. The community pledges also help fund the Christ Church Open Door Kitchen that since April has provided hot meals twice a week and some much-needed social interaction to people in SE1. This fundraiser gets us much closer to being able to run the kitchen through Christmas
- See a video about the Friends of Gipsy Hill and our community garden.
- Crowdfund Lambeth is a platform to support community projects making our borough a unique place to live, work, learn and do business. The project must demonstrate strong local support shown a vibrant crowdfunding campaign. To be considered for match-funding from Lambeth Council, the project must contribute to one or more of the borough plan priorities:
- Sustainable growth: a growing economy that everyone benefits from.
- Resilient communities: communities that are thriving and connected.
- Promote care and independence: people have support to live well and independently.
- Place: Make Lambeth a place people want to live, work and invest.
If you have a project or initiative and want to find if you’re eligible for match-funding, find more at https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/funds/lambeth