As well as the well-publicised testing on cladding (we have sent 31 cladding samples to central government), we have taken the following steps:
- A full review of our Fire Risk Assessments (FRAs) for all cladded or partially cladded medium/high rise blocks has been completed
- Any urgent works have been completed and any concerns have been raised with the London Fire Brigade (LFB), who have inspected high priority blocks to ensure residents’ safety
- A programme of enhanced Fire Risk Assessments (FRA-4s) has begun on all medium/high rise blocks that have cladding. These are the most detailed form of Fire Risk Assessment, carried out in collaboration with the LFB and should be complete within 3-4 weeks
- A series of meetings with TRA representatives and residents have been taking place to listen to any concerns and answer questions
- Information on fire safety, regular updates and a set of Frequently Asked Questions have been published on our website at lambeth.gov.uk/firesafety
We have so far received one cladding result back from central government, which has failed the combustibility test. This related to cladding around two of the stairwells at Southwyck House in Brixton.
We carried out an immediate inspection alongside the London Fire Brigade and commenced work to remove the cladding. A 24-hour ‘walking watch’ patrol has also been put in place, until the cladding is removed. All residents have been kept informed throughout this process and councillors and council officers have been on-site. The Fire Brigade are satisfied that the actions being taken are sufficient to ensure the safety of Southwyck residents.
The government have indicated that none of our other submitted samples contain Aluminium Composite Material (ACM), and are therefore not being tested at the current time. We have written to the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, asking for clarity on this matter.
We continue to urge all residents to familiarise themselves with Lambeth’s fire safety advice.
Any concerns regarding fire safety in your home, or your block, should be reported to Housing Management on 020 7926 6000 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm) or HMfiresafety@lambeth.gov.uk.
For all fire safety and updates following the Grenfell Tower fire please visit www.lambeth.gov.uk/firesafety.