Celebrating the achievements of young people in the borough, the event will showcase the pupils debating talent and will also be an opportunity to develop their advocacy skills.
This prestigious event is chaired by the Lambeth Mayor, Cllr Marcia Cameron and Lambeth Councillors will act as the judges. The event will be opened with speeches by the Mayor and the Youth Mayor.
Let the debate begin
Four schools will debate on two exciting topics:
- Should the taxpayer not pay for the increased grant to the Crown to fund the royal wedding of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry and repair the Buckingham Palace?
- Should the empty homes in Kensington and Chelsea be used to rehouse those who lost their homes in the Grenfell fire?
Awards and prizes
- achieve the trophy for the year
- win a £200 cheque for their school
- one week’s work experience in the Council’s legal department
Runners up will:
- get the opportunity to shadow the Youth Mayor for two days
- win £150.00 for their school
In addition to this there will be prizes of vouchers for the winning team, the runners up, Best Speaker, Questioner, and Best Chairperson.
Date: 24 March 2018
Time: 9.30am to 12.30pm
Location: Lambeth Town Hall, Council Chamber, 1 Brixton Hill, SW2 1RW
The event is open to all. We hope to see you there.