A merry recycling Christmas
In Lambeth, so much is recyclable. Throughout Christmas and New Year we are committed to reducing, reusing and recycling as much as possible.
Do your bit this Christmas by recycling wrapping paper, Christmas cards and any additional packaging along with your usual recyclables – paper and cardboard, glass bottles and jars, plastic bottles, pots, tubs and trays, food and drink cartons and tins and cans. There’s no limit to how much recycling we’ll collect – the more the merrier.
Glitter & shine
Glittery and shiny wrapping paper and cards can’t be recycled. Check before you risk contaminating your green wheelie bin.
- Try the scrunch test: if you scrunch it and it bounces back, it can’t be recycled – put it in the waste bin.
- Cut or tear off the glitter section and put it in the waste bin. Recycle the non-glittery page of the card.
Bin day changes
Christmas Day and New Year’s Day are Mondays, so everyone’s rubbish and recycling services move forward one day (eg, if your collection is usually Tuesday it will be Wednesday). Please put your black wheelie bin, green recycling wheelie bin (or clear recycling sacks) and food waste bin out the day after your usual collection day. Please put them all out for collection by 6am on collection day. You’ll get a bin tag to remind you of the changes or you can look it up on the Council’s information pages.
All collections go back to normal in the week beginning 8 January.
Christmas tree recycling
We will collect real Christmas trees again, starting on 2 January 2018. Please remove all decorations and stands, and leave trees out on collection day next to your refuse and recycling. We can’t take every tree at once, because our priority is collecting your food and garden waste. If we don’t take your tree first time, please put it out again next collection day or take it to a collection centre:
- Clapham Common, Windmill Drive, SW4
- Streatham Common, rear of upper car park, SW16
- Lambeth reuse and recycling centre, Vale Street, SE27 9PA (closed Tuesday and Wednesday)
If you live on a Lambeth housing estate, real Christmas trees will be collected from your bulky waste area.
For more information
- For more information on what you can recycle, visit Lambeth’s information pages
- For tips on how to prevent food waste and save money this Christmas, look up Love Food, Hate Waste